Labels

Anecdote (13) book reviews (7) chris (1) glimpses (77) marriage (9) mommaville (37) projects (24) recipes (7) scenes (61)

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Glazed Salmon with California Avocado Slaw

We are taking a 180 degree turn from serious touch stones such as marriage/commitment/failure and turning to the wonderful topic of food. A few months ago I made a commitment to myself - to enjoy the food I eat and stop eating the food I don't enjoy. I'm not talking about skimping out on the veggies. But how often do I stuff down breakfast without thinking of the taste, skip through a snack and load up on dinner. A dinner that is "okay" at best, and therefore less satisfying. So we are trying new recipes in the Erickson household. One a weekish is the plan, in hopes of stirring up the palette, increasing satisfaction, and eating less in quantity but more in quality. And hopefully I'll get around to sharing those recipes that have amazed me. Here is my most recent favorite: (and I do find it a bit funny that the only two recipes I have blogged about include Salmon... and that not only did I not come up with this on my own...but I cannot claim credit for making it - that was Chris' doing.)

Glazed Salmon with California Avocado Slaw (Courtesy of Calif. Avocado Commission)
3 Tbsp. soy sauce 1/4 cp. sliced water chestnuts (I omitted)
1 clove garlic peeled handful of shoestring carrots
1 tsp. grated ginger 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
2 1/2 Tbsp. honey 3 cps. shredded cabbage
1 tsp. sesame oil salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cp. rice vinegar 1 ripe avocado cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1/4 cp. olive oil
4 (5 oz.) salmon fillets

Place soy sauce, garlic, ginger honey sesame oil, vinegar and olive oil in food processor and blend until creamy. Pace salmon fillets in shallow dish a pour half of mixture over them, coating both sides and setting aside.

Place water chestnuts, carrot, bell pepper, and cabbage in a bowl and top remaining mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add avocado and toss to combine. Set aside.

Cook salmon in preferred method. Place Salmon on plate and spoon over slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment