Labels

Anecdote (13) book reviews (7) chris (1) glimpses (77) marriage (9) mommaville (37) projects (24) recipes (7) scenes (61)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Declare your power...

My pastor shared this verse last weekend and it really struck me in regards to my parenting:

"Do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come." Psalm 71:18

This is my prayer right now, especially as I see my oldest child begin to grapple with questions deeper and more involved than, "Can I have this toy?"  She is wondering about what it means to die, where heaven is, why we get old, where the mountains came from, and why people do mean things.  It is easy as a parent to skim over these questions.  In my exhaustion I want to put her off till another day.  And honestly, I don't know how to answer all her questions.  But the bible does.

My prayer is that God allows me to declare Him to the next generation, the next line in our family, the ones that will take the torch on when our time has long since passed.  And that in the midst of the highs and lows, the busy times and slow, the holidays and visitors and sickness and silliness, that I would not forget to declare Him through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment