This was my day yesterday...wondering desperately what I am living for, wondering if I am really doing anything with my life at all.
These times are good for me- not the listless part- but the reassessing of goals and values. I sat down. Made a list of who I am, who I want to be, what the most important things are to me. I prioritized them. My list looked something like this:
- Fear and enjoy God, get to know him better.
- Love and serve my husband, and get to know him better too!
- Love, train, school and have fun with my 3 kids
- Serve at church and build into relationships there
- (and somewhere in all this, find time for things like training the dog, cleaning the house, exercising, family and relationships...)
I ask myself if my daily choices support these priorities- often they do, partially. Often somethings need to be put back in their right order. But mostly, what I realize is that even though my day is full of seemingly mundane things- laundry, disciplining, cooking meals, yard work...over all I AM doing something with my life- and not just something, but something that has value and worth.
Not all things of value and worth- are epic, exciting, or adventurous in the moment. Often they can be grueling, requiring patience and endurance. But when we step back to look at the big picture- we can see progress. We can see the epic-ness in the whole thing. And it gives us the energy to keep going.