Labels

Anecdote (13) book reviews (7) chris (1) glimpses (77) marriage (9) mommaville (37) projects (24) recipes (7) scenes (61)

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Expectation...

I had one of those moments the other day, you know...the kind you won't soon forget.

Chris and I were climbing my first multi-pitch route.  Half way up the first pitch I was ticked off.  My forearms were pounding, my hands so tired I could barely pull the cams out of the rock.  But I got to the top, barely, and after a few moments of exhaling my frustration I began to look around.  To my right the sun, low on the horizon, reflected off the granite in an orange explosion.  To the left,  the moon hung in the sky, framed by a spectacular couloir and jagged peaks. In front of me, the next pitch and a little scrambling to get to the summit. And I began to think about how the struggle in getting to the top, was part of, if not most, of what made it so fun to get to the top.

Chris and I were talking about whether or not there will be challenges in heaven, hard work, and the pay off for it.  Whether everything will be given to us on a golden platter or whether God will leave some adventure.  Or better yet, maybe there is even more adventure there than there is here...

Our best calculations of heaven are a trifle in comparison to what it will actually be like.  It is silly of us to assume that the wild and infinite God who created the delicate snowflake, the iron strength of an ocean wave, the steep cliffs of granite and coral reefs, will sentence us to an eternity in an "endless church service."'What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived'- the things God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9

So I've been thinking a lot about heaven and living in light of it.  If he made this in 6 days:



imagine what heaven will be like if He has been working on it for thousands of years.
In the words of my husband, "There are going to be some pretty awesome walls for us to climb in Heaven. And I bet they are going to take hard work and training, cause that is half the fun of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment