Labels

Anecdote (13) book reviews (7) chris (1) glimpses (77) marriage (9) mommaville (37) projects (24) recipes (7) scenes (61)

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Eyes of Gratitude

Abishai took this and my face was actually in the frame!
I woke up this morning crabby. Yesterday morning too for that matter. But today was different. I was bemoaning the fact that I would not be able to go to yoga today. My once a week, Wednesday yoga class has become somewhat of a sanctuary for me. So I kept my grumbling to myself, of course God still saw it, and prepared for my day.

Half way into the morning, Chris informed me plans had changed, and I could go to yoga. My response? Now I have to change my plans, now I am hurried to figure out if I can still go. And do I have to leave early to get back in time? And, and, and...

God had interrupted my day to bless me in a small way and it took me awhile to see it. I guess I am glad I finally did, cause I started out by fighting tooth and nail. As I enter the "Thanksgiving" month I want to work on being more thankful. That all starts by seeing things the right way. If I look at my circumstances through eyes of gratitude, I have much to be thankful for. If my sight is filled with ME and everything I am "entitled" to, then I will only see how I want things to be different. Not only that, but how I deserve for them to be different. It is a matter of perspective.

It is very easy to get into the trap of thinking on "what we deserve."  I had a wonderful woman help me down the road to right thinking when I was stuck in a "deserving attitude." She asked me, "So you think you deserve better, something different?" "Well, yes." I replied. "So who are you before God?" "I am an unrighteous, sinful, flawed person." "And what do you deserve?" She asked?  Nothing but the just punishment for my sin and a sentence of eternity in hell. So anything above and beyond that is God's grace to me, and much more than I deserve.  I try to remember this every time I struggle with my attitude.

My prayer this month? Lord, give me eyes to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment