Labels

Anecdote (13) book reviews (7) chris (1) glimpses (77) marriage (9) mommaville (37) projects (24) recipes (7) scenes (61)

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Journey

We loaded up the kids and our one remaining houseplant joined me in the front seat as we headed north to I-80. I thought I was going to be lonely on the drive to Salt Lake. But a swarm of companions surrounded me. Some good. Some bad.

Here are those companions I will never forget:

Anibel and Ezzie giggling it up in the back seat as the palm tree plant bobbed precariously next to me. The wind bullying the Uhaul on the road in front of me while the white blades of the windmills whipped around and around. The lump in my throat that reminded me hourly of the dear people we were leaving behind. The butterflies in my stomach that anticipated moving into a new house I'd never seen. The lyrics, " And if our God is for us, then who can ever stop us. And if our God is for us, then who can stand against" escaping from my lips continuously for 8 hours. The caffeine buzz from too much coffee...something necessary in our battle against many sleepless nights. The overwhelming crowd of smiling faces that unloaded our truck for us in 27 minutes.

And the exhaustion afterwards... an exhaustion that comes from everything being new and un-usual. Exhaustion that I underestimated. Exhaustion that is going to take many nights of rest to overcome.

And yet I feel carried along. As if angels are holding me up by the arms and pressing us on with a smile on our faces.
Chris and I are officially in a new house, among new people, in a new land. But there is comfort in that we are doing it together.

1 comment: