Labels

Anecdote (13) book reviews (7) chris (1) glimpses (77) marriage (9) mommaville (37) projects (24) recipes (7) scenes (61)

Monday, August 8, 2011

Aspirations


1 Thessalonians 4 :11-12
"make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."



What do I aspire to do?  How do I aspire to live?

I sat and thought through these questions and settled on one word- loudly.  I aspire to live loudly.  To make a statement with my life.  To do something different and something big.  To change things. To live wild and free.  But the verse I had read that morning said one thing very clearly:  Aspire to lead a quiet life.

Now I don't believe aspiring to change the world or do big things is wrong.  But what does it mean to aspire to lead a quiet life?  Or to actually lead a quiet life?  I don't really know.  But I do know one thing... when I focus on leading a quiet life my mental focus shifts toward being faithful with the work god has given me - namely training and loving my kids, serving my husband, loving God and people.  I become more focused on others- and less on "what I am doing", or my agenda.  I tend to be more peaceful in my spirit.

When I aspire to live loudly, no matter the goodness of my intentions, often I get wrapped in what I am doing, and forget why.  I forget about the people involved.  I forget about loving sacrificially and gently.  I want to make a statement with my words but the example of my life is less meaningful.

Not to say my life will never be loud.  I pray in the end it is!  But sometimes I think the road to a loud and clear message- is one of quiet persistence over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment